Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office
The Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office (SAPRO) is responsible for oversight of the Department's sexual assault policy. SAPRO works hand-in-hand with the Services and the civilian community to develop and implement innovative prevention and response programs.
- New SAPRO Director Announced: The Secretary of Defense names new DoD SAPRO Director, Maj. Gen. Camille M. Nichols, U.S. Army. Find the DoD News article here, view Maj. Gen. Nichols' biography here, and the Director's Message here.
- SAPR.mil Expands D-SAACP Continuing Education Information: Expanded online continuing education opportunities that meet Ethics or Advocacy / Prevention requirements to maintain D-SAACP certification can be found on the D-SAACP Information page, found here.
- SAPR Policy Toolkit Updated:The National Protocol for Sexual Assault Medical Forensic Examinations has been added to the SAPR Policy Toolkit, which you can find here.
- Victim Assistance Section Expansion: Guidance for those seeking sexual assault assistance for themselves, for a friend or colleague, or for someone they supervise can now be found here.
- Need Sexual Assault Survivor Assistance?: Whether your status is Active Duty, Reserve Component, Transitioning, Veteran, DoD Civilian, adult DoD Dependent, or DoD Contractor, as a sexual assault survivor or someone who assists survivors, you can find useful information and resources here.
- D-SAACP Application Deadline Approaching: The latest quarterly D-SAACP application deadline is July 31, 2015. Submissions for first-time and renewal applications will be reviewed by the D-SAACP Review Committee for end of Q4 FY15 approval. SARCs and SAPR VAs whose certifications expire in August and September of this year must submit their renewal application by the July 31, 2015 deadline to maintain certification. Learn how to submit your application here.
- DoD Safe Helpline Featured in DoD Live Blog: A recent DoD Live blog post featured the Safe Helpline in providing advice for supporting a military victim of sexual assault. Find a link to the post here.
- Victim Legal Support Programs: Information about Victims' Bill of Rights, Special Victims' Counsel (SVC) and Victims' Legal Counsel (VLC), and Victim Witness Assistance Program (VWAP) is available here.
- USD P&R Releases Memo on Certification Standards for DoD SAPR Program Managers: The Department, working with the Military Departments and the National Guard Bureau, developed standards for the selection, training and certification of SAPR Program Managers, as outlined in the memo, viewable here.
- Secretary of Defense Memorandum on FY14 Annual Report: The Secretary of Defense issued a memorandum on May 1, 2015, directing the implementation of several essential measures that address the findings and recommendations in the DoD's Fiscal Year 2014 Annual Report on Sexual Assault in the Military. Find the memorandum here and the FY14 Annual Report here.
- SAPR Source: Read DoD SAPRO's latest edition of the newsletter here.